Friday, June 12, 2009

The Christian Label

For the last couple weeks, I've been reconsidering whether to call myself a "Christian" or not. At the moment, I feel that I'd like to stop using the label indefinitely- but not because I don't "believe in Jesus" anymore, or have decided firmly against the Christian doctrine. I more have an issue with using a label to define my spiritual state. And "Christian" is a very problematic label, I think, because of its huge range of understood meanings.
What does the label "Christian" really mean? If we're in conversation, and I tell you I'm a Christian, then there are immediately quite a few different meanings now in play: there's what you think "Christian" means; what "Christian" means to me; then there's what I actually am; and of course, what God thinks of what I am. And these meanings might be drastically different from each other, so I wonder how usefully, really, is it to call myself a Christian.
In the past, it was always emphasized that we should declare ourselves "Christian" when asked- and to do it firmly and proudly. If I were to somehow deny this label, that was equated with denying Christ Himself- a serious sin indeed. But I wonder if God is so stuck on us using this label. Are "Christian" and Christ synonymous? I think of a few examples in the gospels where Jesus shakes down people's confidence in their labels: when he says that there will be some people who do miracles "in my name" who will be denied entrance into heaven- and Jesus will say he "never knew" them. And also Jesus danced around the label people tried to put on him: Son of God. He almost never gave a straight answer, usually returning the question to the asker, ie "Well, who do you think that I am?"

I like that approach. I'd rather have people draw their own conclusions; look at the "stuff" of my life and decide for themselves what they think I am. If they think I'm a "Christian" (according to their own definition), then fine, that's what they think I am. If not, that's fine, too. Because really, what does it matter whether people attach me to a certain label?
In other spheres of life, I think it matters more what people think you are- the labels they attach to you. But when it comes to my spiritual state, I think it only really matters what I really am- underneath all the labels- and what God thinks of me.

It might seem at this point in the post that I'm completely ambivalent to the label "Christian"- but this is not quite true. I think I've actually become somewhat resistant toward it. At this moment in my life, the label Christian stands for a lot of things that I don't want any part of. For me, Christian means being "different" from others- "separate"- "better than"- with a special "calling" that sets me above others- having "the answers." I really detest this kind of thinking now- and don't want to see myself as above others. I want to look in the mirror and see a human being- just a human being.

No comments:

Post a Comment