Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Decluttering Mandate

Decluttering experts have methods to help people get rid of excess and keep only what's valuable. I've heard that one way to do this is to empty everything out of your closet, put it in boxes, tape them up, and put them in the garage. Then wait. A month, maybe two. See if you miss any of it, or can even remember what was in the boxes.
I'm going to do this as best I can with my belief system. To stop practicing the Christianity I knew. Not throwing it out, not coming to new conclusions, just putting it all in the garage for a while. Taking a break.
A break from reading the Bible, studying, praying, quiet times, all the daily/weekly practices, and also trying to track down and articulate all the ways of thinking that go with my belief system and get them into the garage as well.
Then see what happens in the quiet.
Will I miss any of it? What will emerge as valuable? What will be rendered redundant?
How long will I do this?
I need a while.
Maybe a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment