Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Questions Begin...

I was giving my son a bath one night two weeks ago
and, for the first time,
wondered:
What if this is all there is?


no eternity, no heaven, no going on forever and ever,
no "everything is just going to be okay because God is there."

just my son and I.

Looking at my beautiful boy,
alone together in this shabby bathroom
late at night,
the bubbles cracking in the silence.

looking at him.

two tiny human beings,
alone in the great wide world,
alone in this moment.
Fragile, temporal, vulnerable.
Tiny.

It was exhilarating.
I felt Alive- maybe for the first time.
like a lifelong anesthetic was wearing off my mind-
A Great Dullness was fading away.

I had been living in a world without questions.

I need to start asking, wondering and imagining.
No question is off limits, and all answers are viable options.

Imagine there's no Heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today

Imagine...

No comments:

Post a Comment